GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) - A fire investigation is underway for one of the most well-known pizza places in Greenville.
Around 5:15 Wednesday afternoon, Marabella pizza on the corner of Greenville Blvd. and Luci Dr. caught on fire.
Fire crews tell us it started in the kitchen and spread through the ceiling. They haven't determined an exact cause but believe it was electrical. The building isn't a total loss, but did sustain significant damage.
Rush hour traffic was blocked by fire trucks while smoke poured out of the roof of Marbella.
"There are other businesses that are in this particular building and we did have some fire and smoke that traveled to those areas as well," said Greenville Deputy Fire/Rescue Chief Eric Griffin.
9 On Your Side talked to Dakota Norris who was working inside.
"My manger started saying he smelled something funny, but didn't think anything of it at first," said Norris," it smelled like burning electronics."
He says the manager shut the power off to the building and called 911.
Mannino owns the business and came rushing over.
"It hurts. It hurts seeing it that burned down," said Mannino.
He says he's owned the building for four years and hopes this fire won't mean he will have to close one of his stores.
"I hope I can put everything together again and back in business if possible. That's my hope," he said.
No one was injured.
3221 South Evans Street
Can't find something?
For problems with the FCC Public File, contact Loi Hamm • Media General Terms and Conditions of Use •
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.