There have been at least three fires in Pitt County in less than a week.
Just two days ago, on Wednesday, Marabella Pizza on Greenville Boulevard went up in flames.
Firefighters say an electrical problem was to blame.
But how are you supposed to know if you're home or business is at risk?
With so many of these electrical fires recently, 9 On Your Side wanted to find out how you can lower your risk.
A licensed electrician had some answers.
"What are some of the first things you should look for," 9 On Your Side asked.
"Well a lot of times people will have the screw in type fuses and that's a sign that it's really old and those fuses can be very problematic. And if you have problems with tripping breakers then that will tell you that you have issues and that you're overloaded and that can really cause a fire, being overloaded. You also want to make sure that these fillers are in like that because you wouldn't want sparks to come flying out. And overall if you have a panel that's over about 25 years old you may want to consider replacing it because it has a life just like anything else does," said Andy Hartsfield, Watson Electrical Co.
When in doubt, of course, it's never a bad idea to call a licensed electrician.
3221 South Evans Street
Can't find something?
For problems with the FCC Public File, contact Loi Hamm • Media General Terms and Conditions of Use •
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.