An exterior gas leak prompted the evacuation of a downeast school Monday.
Officials tell 9 On Your Side that all students and staff of Morehead City Primary School are safe and were evacuated to West Carteret High School because of the leak.
Buses began departing around 1:30 p.m. with students on their regular routes. Parents were allowed to pick up their children from West Carteret High School provided they had proper identification.
Morehead City Fire Chief Jamie Fulk says the leak went on for a good 30 minutes.
Apparently a construction crew was doing some drilling under a road near the school and hit a gas line. That happened around 11:44 a.m.
Although the leak is now contained, clean-up is still in progress. Piedmont Natural Gas is handling the repair.
Country Club Road was closed about 3 hours, but has since re-opened.
The school has been cleared of any gas inside the building, but it's unclear if the school will re-open Tuesday.
Some homes and an apartment building were evacuated as well.
About 700 children at the school were evacuated in the incident.
3221 South Evans Street
Can't find something?
For problems with the FCC Public File, contact Loi Hamm • Media General Terms and Conditions of Use •
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.