Quantcast

Two children die in weekend house fire - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Two children die in weekend house fire

Posted: Updated:
GREENSBORO, N.C. -

A space heater is to blame for a weekend house fire that killed two children. It happened early Saturday morning in Guilford County.

Deputy Chief Mike Wright said firefighters learned that two children were trapped inside when crews made it to the house.


Wright said the children and their grandfather were sleeping in the home when the fire started Saturday. The children were sleeping in one room, and their grandfather was in another. The man woke up when he heard sounds from the flames and immediately tried to get the kids out of their room, but the flames were too big to reach the kids from the inside. So, Wright says, the grandfather went outside to try to get in another way.


Someone passing by the home saw the man trying to get in and attempted to help rescue the children, but the flames were still too large. Firefighters say they found four year old Matthew Ridge and one year old Jade Hawks in the same bed.

Investigators say the heater got too close to flammable material, and the home did not have working smoke detectors.

Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.