Quantcast

Improper discarded smoking materials cause of Raleigh gas statio - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Improper discarded smoking materials cause of Raleigh gas station fire

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

A fire at a Raleigh gas station convenience store was cause by improper discarded smoking materials by homeless person Friday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the fire about 4 p.m. at the Shell station on 6800 block of Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh at Duraleigh Road.

Raleigh Fire Department Captain Tim Wilson said a homeless person was using a small storage unit behind the convenience store for shelter.

Wilson said that after the homeless person was interviewed, the cause was determined the homeless person was smoking before the fire started.

All investigating parties including Raleigh Fire Investigators, SBI, and Wake County Public Safety ruled that the fire was an accidental, started by improper discarded smoking materials.

50 percent of the store was damaged in the fire which took 35 firefighters approximately 40 minutes to get under control.

No injuries were reported.

Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.