Boston marks one week since Marathon bombs with silence - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Boston marks one week since Marathon bombs with silence

Posted: Updated:

The city of Boston paused this afternoon to remember victims of the deadly marathon bombings that took place one week ago today.

One victim is being laid to rest today. And the surviving suspect has been charged.

Boston stood still at 2:50 this afternoon in silent tribute to the victims of last Monday's bombings at the marathon finish line.

Bells across Boston tolled. It's the first day many are back at work and at school since the attacks.

Late this afternoon, the FBI turned Boylston Street back over to the city of Boston and presented the mayor with an American flag.

This memorial will soon be moved to a nearby park. The city plans to reopen this road, where the marathon finish line was, in the coming days.

Bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev made his first appearance before a judge in his hospital room.

The 19 year old is charged with using a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting in death. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

Some lawmakers wanted Tsarnaev declared an "enemy combatant," but the White House is defending its decision to try him in U.S. courts.

In the suburb of Medford, a funeral was held for 29 year old Krystle Campbell. Mourners offered their support to her family.

Campbell was one of three marathon spectators killed in the blasts.

The father of the two suspects says he plans to travel to the United States this week, saying he has lots of questions for police. His older son, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed in a shootout with police last week.

Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.