Quantcast

Marines cancel Camp Lejeune's July 4th fireworks - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Marines cancel Camp Lejeune's July 4th fireworks

Posted: Updated:
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -

The July 4 fireworks show at Camp Lejeune is the latest victim of the federal budget cuts.
    
The Marine Corps said Tuesday that the fireworks celebration has been canceled because of the cuts known as sequestration.
    
Brig. Gen. Thomas Gorry said supporting the Marines, those who have been wounded and families are the top priorities. Gorry says canceling the event will allow the base to use resources for other financial challenges.
    
The base is working on other free events that could include golf, bowling, skeet shooting, archery or free movies at the base theater.

The Marines did say how much the fireworks would have cost in a news release.

Earlier, the U.S. military canceled the Wings of Wayne Air Show in Goldsboro that had been scheduled for May 18-19 at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base.

In April, Fort Bragg canceled its popular July Fourth celebration, which can draw 50,000 people.

 

  • North Carolina NewsMore>>

  • Man taken into custody after chase, standoff on I-77

    Man taken into custody after chase, standoff on I-77

    Thursday, July 31 2014 7:29 PM EDT2014-07-31 23:29:06 GMT
    The incident happened after a reported chase southbound on I-77 that ended in the Troutman area where a dump truck appears to have wrecked in the wood line near a rest stop.
    The incident happened after a reported chase southbound on I-77 that ended in the Troutman area where a dump truck appears to have wrecked in the wood line near a rest stop.
  • UNC system releases report on campus safety

    UNC system releases report on campus safety

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:28 PM EDT2014-07-31 22:28:25 GMT
    The UNC Campus Security Initiative issued its final report Thursday, offering a comprehensive review and recommendations for improving safety and security across the 17-campus University of North Carolina.
    The UNC Campus Security Initiative issued its final report Thursday, offering a comprehensive review and recommendations for improving safety and security across the 17-campus University of North Carolina.
  • Samaritan doctor sickened with Ebola lets Charlotte missionary take serum

    Samaritan doctor sickened with Ebola lets Charlotte missionary take serum

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-07-31 22:08:32 GMT
    A doctor who contracted Ebola while serving with Samaritan's Purse in Liberia took a "slight turn for the worse" on Wednesday night but is being called heroic by people around him. Dr. Kent Brantly was
    "Yesterday, an experimental serum arrived in the country, but there was only enough for one person. Dr. Brantly asked that it be given to Nancy Writebol," said Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan's Purse.
Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.