Quantcast

Women in Ohio kidnap case thank public for support - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Women in Ohio kidnap case thank public for support

Posted: Updated:
© Associated Press © Associated Press
CLEVELAND, Ohio -

Three women held captive in a Cleveland home for a decade issued a YouTube video Monday night in which they thanked the public for the encouragement and financial support that is allowing them to restart their lives.
    
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight broke their public silence in the 3-minute, 30-second video posted at midnight. They said the support and prayers of family, friends and the public is allowing them to rebuild their lives after what Berry called "this entire ordeal."
    
The women had gone missing separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16, and 20 years old.
    
In the video, none of the women had any visible scars of the abuse they said they suffered at the hands of Ariel Castro, who has pleaded not guilty to a 329-count indictment alleging he kidnapped them off the streets and held them captive in his two-story home. They were smiling and appeared upbeat.
    
Castro, a 52-year-old former bus driver, fathered a 6-year-old daughter with Berry and is accused of starving and punching Knight, causing her to miscarry. He was arrested May 6, shortly after Berry broke through a door at the home and yelled to neighbors for help.
    
Berry, the only one of the three women whose photographs have appeared publicly since her release, had shorter hair with a blonde streak in it. Knight, who authorities said had been taken captive first, wore glasses, had closely cropped hair and spoke a bit haltingly.
    
Knight said in the video that she is building a "brand new life."
    
"I may have been through hell and back, but I am strong enough to walk through hell with a smile on my face and my head held high," she said, reading from a prepared statement. "I will not let the situation define who I am. I will define the situation. I don't want to be consumed by hatred."
    
DeJesus' parents, Felix DeJesus and Nancy Ruiz, thanked the public for donations to a fund set up to help the women. In addition, Ruiz encouraged parents with missing loved ones to reach out for assistance. "Count on your neighbors," she said. "Don't be afraid to ask for the help because help is available."
    
Kathy Joseph, Knight's attorney, said in a statement that the three women wanted to "say thank you to people from Cleveland and across the world, now that two months have passed."
    
She said they're being recognized in public, "so they decided to put voices and faces to their heartfelt messages."
    
James Wooley, an attorney for Berry and DeJesus, also issued a statement saying Knight and his clients thank people for the privacy they've been given and do not want to discuss their case with the news media or anyone else.
    
The video was filmed July 2 and released by a public relations agency on the women's behalf with the cooperation of their lawyers.

  • U.S.More>>

  • Duke study: Water contamination tied to wells, not fracking

    Duke study: Water contamination tied to wells, not fracking

    Monday, September 15 2014 6:02 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:02:46 GMT
    A new study by scientist from multiple schools, including Duke University, says problems with the wells and not hydraulic fracturing itself, was the primary cause of drinking water contamination issues in parts of Pennsylvania and Texas.
    A new study by scientist from multiple schools, including Duke University, says problems with the wells and not hydraulic fracturing itself, was the primary cause of drinking water contamination issues in parts of Pennsylvania and Texas.
  • Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents

    Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents

    Monday, September 15 2014 5:42 PM EDT2014-09-15 21:42:14 GMT
    Authorities are increasingly concerned about a hoax in which video game players lash out at online opponents by making fake 911 calls that send SWAT teams to their homes.
    The calls to 911 raised an instant alarm: One caller said he shot his co-workers at a Colorado video game company and had hostages. Another in Florida said her father was drunk, wielding a machine gun and threatening their...
  • Report: Accused killer admits to cannibalism

    Report: Accused killer admits to cannibalism

    Monday, September 15 2014 5:39 PM EDT2014-09-15 21:39:25 GMT
    Horrific details of a southern Indiana homicide were released Monday, including allegations that Joseph Oberhansley ate portions of Tammy Jo Blanton's brain, heart and lungs after stabbing her to death.
    Horrific details of a southern Indiana homicide were released Monday, including allegations that Joseph Oberhansley ate portions of Tammy Jo Blanton's brain, heart and lungs after stabbing her to death.
Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.