Quantcast

Ohio kidnapping, rape suspect pleads not guilty - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Ohio kidnapping, rape suspect pleads not guilty

Posted: Updated:
CLEVELAND, Ohio -

The Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for over a decade pleaded not guilty Wednesday on an expanded indictment charging him with 512 counts of kidnapping and 446 counts of rape, among other crimes.
    
The newest charges returned Friday by a grand jury against Ariel Castro expanded on a 329-count indictment filed earlier that covered only part of the time frame of the alleged crimes.
    
Castro, 53, has been jailed since his arrest on May 6 shortly after the women escaped to freedom. As in past court appearances, he kept his head down Wednesday, typically responding to a judge's questions with one-word answers.
    
The judge repeatedly told Castro to raise his head and keep his eyes open during the brief court appearance. She continued his bond at $8 million.
    
Besides kidnapping and rape, the new, 977-count indictment also charges him with seven counts of gross sexual imposition, six counts of felonious assault, three counts of child endangerment and one count of possessing criminal tools.
    
He previous was charged with two counts of aggravated murder related to one act, charges alleging that he purposely caused the unlawful termination of the pregnancy of one of the women.
    
The women appeared in a YouTube video last week to thank people who donated to a fund created to benefit them. They otherwise have sought to stay out of sight and have appealed for privacy.
    
Castro is scheduled for trial on Aug. 5, a date that could be delayed if the defense requests more preparation time.
    
He pleaded not guilty to the earlier indictment of 329 counts. His legal team has hinted Castro would plead guilty if the death penalty was off the table.
    
Castro is accused of repeatedly restraining the women, sometimes chaining them to a pole in a basement, to a bedroom heater or inside a van. The charges say one of the women tried to escape and he assaulted her with a vacuum cord around her neck.
    
Amanda Berry, Gina Dejesus and Michelle Knight disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro, who remained friends with Dejesus' family and even attended vigils over the years marking her disappearance.
    
Berry has a 6-year-old daughter fathered by Castro, authorities said.
    
The Associated Press does not usually identify people who may be victims of sexual assault, but the names of the three women were widely circulated by their families, friends and law enforcement authorities for years during their disappearances and after they were found.

  • U.S.More>>

  • Jury awards Ventura $1.8M in defamation case

    Jury awards Ventura $1.8M in defamation case

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:20:16 GMT
    A jury awarded former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura $1.8 million on Tuesday in his lawsuit against the estate of "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle.
    Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura won $1.8 million Tuesday in his two-year fight to prove he was defamed by a military sniper and best-selling author who claimed to have punched out Ventura at a bar for bad-mouthing the...
  • Last crew member of Enola Gay dies in Georgia

    Last crew member of Enola Gay dies in Georgia

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:34 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:34:51 GMT
    The last surviving member of the crew that dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima has died in Georgia.
    The last surviving member of the crew that dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima has died in Georgia.
  • Obama to announce US sanctions on Russia

    Obama to announce US sanctions on Russia

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 3:44 PM EDT2014-07-29 19:44:47 GMT
    President Barack Obama is expected to announce a new round of U.S. sanctions against Russia Tuesday.
    President Barack Obama is to announce a new round of U.S. sanctions against Russian banks and a shipbuilding company Tuesday.
Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.