Jacksonville shooting suspects make court appearance - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Jacksonville shooting suspects make court appearance

Posted: Updated:

Three people tied to a shooting faced a judge in Jacksonville Monday morning.

Jacksonville Police arrested them Friday night.

32-Year-old Dwayne Robinson and 26-year-old Juston Paul Johnson were charged with attempted first degree murder, first degree burglary, three counts of first degree kidnapping, and felony conspiracy. Each were assigned a $550,000 bond.

26-Year-old Latasha Rene Sutton was arrested and charged with attempted first degree murder, first degree burglary, first degree kidnapping, two counts of misdemeanor child abuse and felony conspiracy. She's in jail with no bond.                                                 

Officers responded to the area of Hammock Lane in Jacksonville after they got a report of a disturbance and reports of shots fired. Officers were able to locate the suspects as they were leaving the area without further incident.

On Sunday, 9 On Your Side talked to the victim, who asked us not to reveal his identity. He says he was standing outside his home when a man wearing a bullet-proof vest and dressed in black approached him. He says he noticed the gun and ran, and that's when the suspect shot him in the left leg. The victim says the suspect chased him into his backyard where they fought over the gun. The victim says at one point, the suspect tried to shoot him in the face, but missed. The victim says while he was fighting for his life, the suspect shot him again in the right leg. The victim says at one point the other suspect tried to handcuff him, but then ran into his apartment and grabbed his two small children. The victim says once they got the kids all three suspects took off in a car parked out front. Fortunately, police had already been contacted and arrested the suspects just down the road.

Another man, who also didn't want to be identified, says at first he thought the suspects were police officers.

"The night before there were sheriff's next door and they were dressed the exact  same way these two people were. So, we thought police officers were arresting them, [but] when they started threatening him we were like, that's not normal," said the witness.

He says after the suspects took off, he went to help the victim.

"The gentlemen that was shot was bleeding everywhere. He came over to me and was asking for help and the police had just shown up. He laid there and me and the another Marine from downstairs were treating him," said the witness.

The witness says he was used to treating his fellow Marine's wounds overseas, but not in his front yard.

"It's a little nerve-wrecking, especially with something like that happening so close to home. [However], I was more worried that my wife was going to have to witness a murder, because it was just that scary. I really thought he was going to get killed," said the witness.

The victim was transported to Onslow Memorial Hospital and released on Saturday. On Sunday, the victim was walking around with bandages on both his legs. The victim says although he still has two bullets in his legs he's happy his kids are safe.

Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.