Quantcast

Franklin Co. HS shuts some classrooms due to rodents - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Franklin Co. HS shuts some classrooms due to rodents

Posted: Updated:
FRANKLIN COUNTY -

Last week, WSLS started getting calls into the newsroom from concerned parents in Franklin County.

Many said their kids were seeing a few dead bats and mice at the high school.

School leaders say the problem with the rodents is in the West Campus.

Two agriculture classes have been re-located to the lobby area and will stay there for the next week.

Traps and pads have been set up.

Superintendent Dr. Church says this has not interrupted classes and is just something that happens inside old building.

Dr. Church says only one mouse was found during the Labor Day weekend, which is a good sign the problem is shrinking.

He says the custodial staff is also making sure the bats find a new home.

The health department has also confirmed there are no health risks to students.

He says the custodial staff is also making sure the bats find a new home.

----------

In a letter to parents, Franklin County High School Principal Debora Decker says two classes have been shut down to deal with a rodent problem. The type of rodent was not specified in the letter, which says two agriculture classes are affected by the infestation.

Decker's letter says the high school's custodial staff has been following "division approved pest control policy guidelines". This includes setting traps, cleaning and disinfecting. The two classes have been temporarily relocated while the rodents are dealt with.

Below is the complete letter sent to parents:

Dear Parents,

The students in Mrs. McAndrew's and Mrs. Capps' agriculture classes have been temporarily relocated to a classroom in the lobby area of West Campus. The Agriculture rooms on West Campus are experiencing a problem with rodents which has been addressed by our custodial staff. Unfortunately, these rodents reproduce so quickly we have had difficulty eliminating all of them.

Since the rodents were first reported, our custodial staff has been following the division approved pest control policy guidelines they have been given to deal with situations such as this; namely they have been setting traps and "sticky pads" in all affected areas as well as cleaning and disinfecting the impacted areas. We have removed all animals that were housed in cages, most of which were in the lab area, along with the feed for these animals. As of Monday, August 26th no animals or feed remained in any of the agriculture areas.

Division maintenance department staff contacted a local company with expertise in this area and requested their assistance with this issue. After visiting the facilities, a plan of action was recommended by this group. The plan calls for the use of products on the outside of the building for which additional information and approval was required. We have been assured by an independent expert in the field that the products this company will be using are safe and very effective. Permission was then granted to proceed with the proposed plan. A representative of this company indicated that they intend to put the plan into effect at the end of the school day on Friday, August 30th. Representatives from the Health Department are aware of the situation, have visited the facilities, and agree with what we have been and will be doing to rid these facilities of our unwelcome guests.

Students will be returned to the Agriculture classroom and lab area as soon as we feel the situation is under control. Please understand, that because the Agriculture Lab is located in a large open area within an older building that has garage-type doors that are frequently opened, we cannot guarantee that our "visitors" will not return. However, our expectation is that the plan that has been developed for us will be an effective deterrent.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Debora Decker, Principal

FCHS

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Teen involved in weekend crash dies from injuries

    Teen involved in weekend crash dies from injuries

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:53 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:53:49 GMT
    Roanoke County Police say the juvenile who was injured in a crash Saturday has died.
    Roanoke County Police say the juvenile who was injured in a crash Saturday has died.
  • Kraft Foods recalls over 7,500 cases of Kraft American Singles

    Kraft Foods recalls over 7,500 cases of Kraft American Singles

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:43 AM EDT2014-09-02 06:43:53 GMT
    (WSLS)-- Kraft Foods announces a voluntary recall of more than 7,500 cases of craft singles cheese slices.The company says the recall is a precaution after a supplier failed to store the cheese in accordance with Kraft temperature standards.No complaints or illnesses have been reported. If you have one of the affected packages, return it to the store where it was purchased for a full refund.Here are the affected items:Product Name:12 oz Kraft American Singles (16 slices)Best When Used by Date...
    (WSLS)-- Kraft Foods announces a voluntary recall of more than 7,500 cases of craft singles cheese slices.The company says the recall is a precaution after a supplier failed to store the cheese in accordance with Kraft temperature standards.No complaints or illnesses have been reported. If you have one of the affected packages, return it to the store where it was purchased for a full refund.Here are the affected items:Product Name:12 oz Kraft American Singles (16 slices)Best When Used by Date...
  • Vigil held for 2-year-old girl who died after being left in hot van

    Vigil held for 2-year-old girl who died after being left in hot van

    Monday, September 1 2014 8:30 PM EDT2014-09-02 00:30:57 GMT
    Roanoke City Police are investigating the incident surrounding the death of a 2-year-old girl. According to a news release from police, officers were called to the 1500 block of Kenwood Boulevard SE at 4:27 p.m. Sunday for an unresponsive child.
    Roanoke City Police are investigating the incident surrounding the death of a 2-year-old girl. According to a news release from police, officers were called to the 1500 block of Kenwood Boulevard SE at 4:27 p.m. Sunday for an unresponsive child.
Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.