Quantcast

House votes to cut $4B a year from food stamps - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

House votes to cut $4B a year from food stamps

Posted: Updated:
WASHINGTON -

Inez Moore says she's fed up with the welfare system in this country. She says lawmakers are constantly cutting programs that help people get back on their feet.

“None of them have ever been through this red tape. So how can you sit on a high horse and then say I’m trying to help.  Why don't you come down here in the middle of poverty and ask what we think about what should be done with our lives.” Inez said.

 On Thursday the House passed a bill slashing the supplemental nutrition assistance program better known as snap by $4 billion.

 “Mothers, fathers can't go out and get a job how are they going to feed their children.” Brenda Mullins said.

“They got to understand we live off a budget.” Frances Spieight added.

But republicans say they're looking after the country's budget. They say the bills savings would be achieved by allowing states to implement broad work requirements and drug tests. In North Carolina those could start as early as November since the General Assembly adopted those rules two weeks ago.

"The constant cuts and the constant change creates a problem because you have to think of new ways to feed your kids and survive." Spieight said.

Representative G.K Butterfield and Walter B. Jones voted against the bill. In a statement Jones told 9 On Your Side "This is the wrong approach at a time when the unemployment rate in eastern North Carolina remains elevated over 10%, and jobs are hard to find."

The cost of snap has more than doubled since 2008, coming to nearly $78 billion last year.

Previous story by The Associated Press

The House has voted to cut nearly $4 billion a year from food stamps, a 5 percent reduction to the nation's main feeding program used by more than 1 in 7 Americans.

The 217-210 vote was a win for conservatives after Democrats united in opposition and some GOP moderates said the cut was too high. Fifteen Republicans voted against the measure.

The bill's savings would be achieved by allowing states to put broad new work requirements in place for many food stamp recipients and to test applicants for drugs. The bill also would end government waivers that have allowed able-bodied adults without dependents to receive food stamps indefinitely.

House conservatives, led by Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., have said the almost $80 billion-a-year program has become bloated. More than 47 million Americans are now on food stamps, and the program's cost more than doubled in the last five years as the economy struggled through the Great Recession. Democrats said the rise in the rolls during tough economic times showed the program was doing its job.

Finding a compromise - and the votes - to scale back the feeding program has been difficult. The conservatives have insisted on larger cuts, Democrats opposed any cuts and some moderate Republicans from areas with high food stamp usage have been wary of efforts to slim the program. The White House has threatened to veto the bill.

House leaders were still shoring up votes on the bill just hours before the vote. To make their case, the Republican leaders emphasized that the bill targets able-bodied adults who don't have dependents. And they say the broader work requirements in the bill are similar to the 1996 welfare law that led to a decline in people receiving that government assistance.

"This bill is designed to give people a hand when they need it most," Cantor said on the floor just before the bill passed. "And most people don't choose to be on food stamps. Most people want a job ... They want what we want."

The new work requirements proposed in the bill would allow states to require 20 hours of work activities per week from any able-bodied adult with a child over age 1 if that person has child care available. The requirements would be applicable to all parents whose children are over age 6 and attending school.

The legislation is the House's effort to finish work on a wide-ranging farm bill, which has historically included both farm programs and food stamps. The House Agriculture Committee approved a combined bill earlier this year, but it was defeated on the floor in June after conservatives revolted, saying the cuts to food stamps weren't high enough. That bill included around $2 billion in cuts annually.

After the farm bill defeat, Republican leaders split the legislation in two and passed a bill in July that included only farm programs. They promised the food stamp bill would come later, with deeper cuts.

In order to negotiate the bill with the Senate, Republicans said Thursday that one more step is needed - the House will have to hold a procedural vote to allow both the farm and food stamp bills to go to a House-Senate conference together. It is unclear whether Republicans who pushed to split the two bills will oppose that effort.

Once the bills get to that conference, negotiations with the Senate will not be an easy task. A Senate farm bill passed in June would only make a tenth of the cuts to food stamps, or $400 million, and the White House has issued a veto threat against the House bill. The two chambers will also have to agree on policy for farm subsidies amid disputes between different crops.

Every Democrat voting on Thursday opposed the bill. Many took to the floor with emotional appeals.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said the bill is a "full assault on the health and economic security of millions of families." Texas Rep. Lloyd Doggett called it the "let them starve" bill.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Thursday that House Republicans are attempting to "literally take food out of the mouths of hungry Americans in order to, again, achieve some ideological goal."

The Congressional Budget Office says that if the bill were enacted, as many as 3.8 million people could lose their benefits in 2014.

Around 1.7 million of those would be the able-bodied adults who would be subject to work requirements after three months of receiving food stamps. The 1996 welfare law put that limit into law, but most every state has been allowed to waive that requirement since the Great Recession began in 2008.

The other 2.1 million would lose benefits because the bill would largely eliminate so-called categorical eligibility, a method used by many states that allows people to automatically qualify for food stamps if they already receive other benefits. Some of those people who qualify that way do not meet current SNAP income and asset tests.

The Census Bureau reported this week that just over half of those who received food stamps were below poverty and 44 percent had one or more people with a disability.

By state, Oregon led the nation in food stamp use at 20.1 percent, or 1 in 5, due in part to generous state provisions that expand food stamp eligibility to families. Oregon was followed by more rural or more economically hard-hit states, including Mississippi, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan and Tennessee. Wyoming had the fewest households on food stamps, at 7 percent.

___

Associated Press writers Darlene Superville and Hope Yen contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Sharks in the sound: researchers study aims to ease fears

    Sharks in the sound: researchers study aims to ease fears

    Monday, July 21 2014 6:06 PM EDT2014-07-21 22:06:04 GMT
    Millions of people enjoy North Carolina waters every year. But few of those people stop to think what they may be swimming in.
    Millions of people enjoy North Carolina waters every year. But few of those people stop to think what they may be swimming in.
  • Things You Only Hear in the South

    Things You Only Hear in the South

    Friday, June 20 2014 8:10 PM EDT2014-06-21 00:10:48 GMT
    Here are a mess of words and phrases that make the South unique and awesome.
    Here are a mess of words and phrases that make the South unique and awesome.
  • Audit: Ex-Tarboro manager siphoned off town funds

    Audit: Ex-Tarboro manager siphoned off town funds

    A state audit has determined that the former manager in Tarboro siphoned off more than $450,000 in taxpayer funds to provide himself with unapproved benefits and to buy personal items unrelated to his job.
    A state audit has determined that the former manager in Tarboro siphoned off more than $450,000 in taxpayer funds to provide himself with unapproved benefits and to buy personal items unrelated to his job.
Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.