UNC's Cobb Residence Hall on fire - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

380 residents of UNC's Cobb Residence Hall displaced by fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy - Carolinas Fire Page/Twitter Photo courtesy - Carolinas Fire Page/Twitter

A total of 380 residents of dorm on the campus of the University of North Carolina are displaced following a fire Tuesday afternoon.

University of North Carolina Public Safety Director Randy Young said an automatic alarm went off between 4:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Responding emergency crews smelled smoke and traced the fire to the attic's insulation and structure in the northwest end of the building.

The fire was extinguished by 6 p.m., Young said.

No one was hurt in the incident.

The building did sustain some structural damage, Young said.

Residence of the dorm should be able to return to their rooms sometime Wednesday except for those living in the northwest wing, the University said in a release. Student Housing met with evacuated students to arrange overnight accommodations.

Fire fighters did not have to cut into the roof but used a hatch near the fire to enter the attic.

Cobb, a large dorm on the main part of campus, was built in 1952 and renovated in 2005. The co-ed dorm is the home to 400 students and located just off of Country Club Road.

Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.