Quantcast

Woman saves couple, infant, dogs and deer from burning SC home - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Woman saves couple, infant, dogs and deer from burning SC home

Posted: Updated:
Photo per Gtowntimes Photo per Gtowntimes
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Kingsport home destroyed in tornado

    Kingsport home destroyed in tornado

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:05 AM EDT2014-07-28 04:05:05 GMT
    Video sent into us by a viewer shows a tornado moving swiftly through the Rock Springs Road area in Kingsport. In the blink of an eye, that tornado left one home in pieces.
    Video sent into us by a viewer shows a tornado moving swiftly through the Rock Springs Road area in Kingsport. In the blink of an eye, that tornado left one home in pieces.
  • June Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    June Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    Thursday, July 10 2014 5:30 PM EDT2014-07-10 21:30:26 GMT
    Gregory A. DarnellGregory A. Darnell
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in June by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in June by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.

  • Tornado Watch continues, likely tornado in Washington, Sullivan Co.'s

    Tornado Watch continues, likely tornado in Washington, Sullivan Co.'s

    Sunday, July 27 2014 10:44 PM EDT2014-07-28 02:44:10 GMT
    Viewers captured and pictures of what appeared to be a rope tornado touching down in Washington County, TN.Viewers captured and pictures of what appeared to be a rope tornado touching down in Washington County, TN.
    A powerful storm system spawned a tornado and left behind a trail of damaged through in several Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia Counties.The worst of the damage appears to be in the Gray and Rock Springs area of Washington County where viewers captured video and pictures of what appeared to be a tornado.
    A powerful storm system spawned a tornado and left behind a trail of damaged through in several Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia Counties.The worst of the damage appears to be in the Gray and Rock Springs area of Washington County where viewers captured video and pictures of what appeared to be a tornado.

GEORGETOWN CO, SC  - A Georgetown woman sprung into action Tuesday morning when she saw a home on fire as she drove to work.

Brad and Beverly Thompkins lived in the house on Saint Delights Road, and were sleeping at the time. Also inside, a one-month-old they were babysitting, three dogs, and a pet deer.

"If it wasn't for her, we would have probably died," Brad said.

He was talking about Stacey Simpson, as he sat in the back of a pickup truck with a small pile of items firefighters saved from the house.

"I'm thankful to be alive, but I don't know where to go from here," Thompkins said.

Simpson said earlier that morning was she on her way to work when she saw smoke coming from the area. As she got closer, she said she saw flames coming from the Thompkins house and knew she had to do something.

"I was just really concerned, my heart started racing and adrenaline came over me," Simpson said.

She said she raced up to the door, knocked and knocked, but heard nothing so she forced open the door.

"She was screaming 'Your house is on fire, your house is on fire! Get up, get up! Get out!'" Brad recalled.

Simpson said when it happened she had no time to and think about the danger.

"If it was me, I would want someone to do the same thing or I'd be hoping that somebody would be there to help," she said.

Brad said when he woke up, his first concern was the baby.

"The main thing I was worried about was the baby. I brought the baby outside and gave the baby to my wife, and I went back inside to try and get the dogs and stuff started falling from the ceiling," Brad explained.

The Thompkins were able to save the deer and two of the dogs, but lost a puppy and their home in the fire.

Despite the loss, Brad said he is thankful.

"If it wasn't for her, we probably would have died in this house. It's unbelievable. Last night when I went to bed I didn't think today was going to bring this," Brad said.

And neither did his neighbor.

Brad said Simpson is their hero, but she insists she is just an ordinary person who did what anyone else passing by would have done.

"I'm just grateful I was there at that moment, and that time, and that I had the courage to do what needed to be done," Simpson said.

No official cause of the fire has been released, but Brad insists it was old electrical wiring that caused the problems. He encourages others to get their homes checked by a professional annually.

For more information on how you can help the family, contact Kelsey Riggs at kriggs@wbtw.com.

Copyright 2013 WBTW. All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.