New access rules cause major delays at Fort Bragg - WNCT

New access rules cause major delays at Fort Bragg

Posted: Updated:
Civilian business contractors wait outside the All American Visitors Center at Fort Bragg on Monday. Civilian business contractors wait outside the All American Visitors Center at Fort Bragg on Monday.
FORT BRAGG, N.C. -

A new access policy at Fort Bragg has caused wait times of more than ten hours for some visitors.

The new policy started Friday, and it has caused civilian visitors and business contractors significant delays at the visitors center at the All American Expressway gate. That visitors center is where visitors without Department of Defense (DoD) passes must now go to get a background check and a pass.

Previously non-DoD visitors could gain access to Fort Bragg at any gate by showing license and registration and consenting to a vehicle search.

On Monday, tow truck driver Amos Combs said he and his coworkers were caught completely off guard by the change. He said his company first learned of the change when another driver tried to get through another gate at Fort Bragg Friday.

"It's going to be anywhere from 8 to 15 hours, all depending on how slow the background checks are," Combs said Monday. "So we're just stuck out here waiting."

Fort Bragg Public Affairs Officer Tom McCollum said all contractors who do business on Fort Bragg should have received previous notice several weeks ago. He said the delays were a result of companies waiting too late to request the new passes, or in some cases contractors did not notify subcontractors – leaving workers in the dark.

"We've been spelling out step by step how to do this, and what you see behind me are people who did not do it or their sponsor or their bosses didn't do it," McCollum said outside the All American Visitors Center.

Brandon Herring

Brandon is a North Carolina native and UNC alum who lives in Fayetteville, and covers Cumberland County and the Sandhills. Returning to North Carolina to work as a journalist is a dream come true for Brandon. More>>

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
  • Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:57:33 GMT
    The U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest homeThe U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest home
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
  • High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants

    High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 12:27 PM EDT2014-04-22 16:27:58 GMT
    According to a senior at Cherryville High School, a pair of her red skinny jeans got her kicked out of her Senior Prom and has started a bit of a controversy at the school since. "In a way it's kind of
    According to a senior at Cherryville High School, a pair of her red skinny jeans got her kicked out of her Senior Prom and has started a bit of a controversy at the school since.
Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.