Eastern North Carolina's Most Wanted : SBI Unsolved Murders - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Eastern North Carolina's Most Wanted : SBI Unsolved Murders

Posted: Updated:
Kenneth Leefe Kenneth Leefe
Ray Anthony Suggs Ray Anthony Suggs
Audrey Hopkins Leggett Audrey Hopkins Leggett

A store manager is gunned down in a parking lot. A man is shot and killed in his own front yard. A 20-year-old cold case remains unsolved.

9 on your side is on a mission to help capture the most sought after criminals in the east.

These are some of Eastern North Carolina’s most notorious unsolved murders:


On Thursday, June 14th, 2010, La Grange Bojangles manager Kenneth Leefe was leaving work for the night when someone confronted him in the parking lot.

Investigators found him shot dead in his car. He was murdered just one day before his 56th birthday.

"He was all about his work but he didn't mind having a good time and joking around. He was a very good man,” said Ashley Parker, former Bojangles employee.

"Everybody liked Mr. Ken and if they didn't I don't understand why. I don't understand why someone wouldn't want him here,” said Crystal Bruno, former Bojangles employee.

Surveillance cameras from a nearby business captured the murder on video but the case remains unsolved.

Investigators say they have suspects but they hope someone will come forward with critical information they need to close the case.

There is up to a $20,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in Mr. Leefe’s death.


On Monday, July 14th, 2008 at approximately 2:30am, investigators say 35-year-old Ray Anthony Suggs was with a female friend in his yard on Williams Street in Kinston. Investigators say two black males with handguns demanded money. One of the men shot and killed Suggs. Both men ran away and have never been seen since.


On May 30, 1993, at approximately 1:30 pm, investigators say 65-year-old Audrey Leggett was working at the popular Bear Grass hangout “Cherry’s Cupboard.” Leggett’s family says the store phone rang a short time later. It was Audrey’s daughter.

 “Mama said ‘hold on a minute’…. “click”…and that was it. That was the last thing anybody ever heard,” said her son, Herbie Leggett.

Audrey was dead.

"They dragged her all the way into the back, going to the cooler and then they shot her,” said former store owner, Jerry Cherry.

Someone shot Audrey several times. They stole about $1,200 from the cash register.

20 years later, friends and family are still searching for answers.

"You were thinking 'oh my goodness how could Audrey be dead? Somebody just killed her!” said Bear Grass mayor, Charlotte Griffin. “ You know, you're upset, you're just devastated and then in a minute or two you're thinking ‘I wish I could get my hands on whoever did it because this is awful.’ This is senseless."

"Why her? Why that? What reason did they have to do this just for that little bit of money they got?” said Herbie Leggett. “If they just…you just had to know that the person you did this to…what they had been through in their life and the struggle and sacrifice. They deserve so much better than what they got."

If you have any information about these cases contact the State Bureau of Investigations:
PHONE: (800)334-3000
EMAIL: SBI Operations Center

  • Mugshots

Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.