Quantcast

Fast food workers striking again for $15 an hour pay raise - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Fast food workers striking again for $15 an hour pay raise

Posted: Updated:
U.S. -

Fast food workers in about 100 cities will walk off the job again Thursday in what could be the largest effort yet in a push for higher pay.

The actions are intended to build on a campaign that began about a year ago to call attention to the difficulties of living on the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour; that’s about $15,000 a year for a full-time employee, which is below the federal poverty level for a two-person household.

Protesters are calling for pay of $15 an hour although many see that figure as a rallying point and not a realistic possibility.  "The nation is hearing it.  We've been striking all over the country so people will understand and really see the light of what's going on,” said Eduardo Shoy, a fast food employee.

Last month, President Obama said he would back a Senate measure to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour.

  • U.S. & World NewsMore>>

  • Los Angeles jury convicts man of 3 serial murders

    Los Angeles jury convicts man of 3 serial murders

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:52 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:52:44 GMT
    A Los Angeles jury has convicted a career criminal in the serial killings of three women in the 1980s.
    A man who authorities believe strangled dozens of women as he moved from place to place around the country was convicted Tuesday of three 1980s murders in Los Angeles.
  • 10 Things to Know for Wednesday

    10 Things to Know for Wednesday

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:11 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:11:48 GMT
    By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
    By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
  • Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:42 PM EDT2014-09-03 00:42:32 GMT
    The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.
    Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant...
Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.