Woodpecker blamed for fire and power outage in Carteret County - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Woodpecker blamed for fire and power outage in Carteret County

Posted: Updated:

An electric company is blaming a bird for causing a fire and a power outage in Carteret County.

A utility pole fire broke out in Cape Carteret around noon on Thursday, causing a power outage at Mac Daddy's Entertainment Center at 130 Golfin Dolphin drive for three to four hours, said Lisa Taylor-Galizia, spokesperson for Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative.

Taylor-Galizia says a woodpecker was nesting at the bottom of the pole and may have pecked a hole in one of the wires.

Firefighters eventually put out the fire and crews restored power to Mac Daddy's after replacing the burned wires underground.

The woodpecker was found scorched to death. The company says birds are attracted to utility poles because of their warmth.

Mac Daddy's general manager says the fire will not affect their 4th annual Winter Festival on January 25.

Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.