A Florence County man and woman were saved from a house fire when their dog woke them up early Sunday morning.
The incident happened in Coward when a mobile home caught fire around 2:30 am Sunday, according to information from the South Lynches Fire Department.
A woman inside, Karen Altman, was awakened by her dog – but not before the house had smoke throughout it.
Altman and Michael Trebella and the dog, Charlie, managed to get out of the single-wide mobile home.
"Thank you GOD that my little dog woke me up the smoke had already took over the house... Even though my house is gone me, Michael Trebella and our little Charlie all got out fine," Altman wrote on Facebook.
The fire ended up causing significant damage to her home.
"Please everyone say a prayer for me and my family as the next few days and weeks go by!! You never truly appreciate the little things until you lose almost everything," Altman wrote.
Altman and Trebella are currently receiving help from friends and Altman's parents – and others in the community.
They have received more than 100 messages on Facebook from folks who are glad they survived the blaze.
"Thank you all so so very much," Altman wrote. "So much to process and so, so much to do. Please know that all prayers and thoughts and everything is appreciative more than you know."
3221 South Evans Street
Can't find something?
For problems with the FCC Public File, contact Loi Hamm • Media General Terms and Conditions of Use •
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.