The Durham Police Department said it cost approximately $17,000 in overtime funds to provide additional officers and resources for a vigil and march for a Durham teen who died while in police custody in November.
Six people were arrested Jan. 19 on charges of unauthorized entry and assembly in a city-owned parking facility, and resist, delay and obstruct, police said. Police said about 120 people marched to a police substation on Rigsbee Avenue, where they broke windows, spray painted police cars and covered another police cruiser in ketchup.
Police said damage to the patrol cars and the windows at the District 5 substation is estimated at approximately $5,000.
Police said many of the marchers donned masks as they approached the District 5 substation on Rigsbee Avenue.
No arrests were made for the vandalism, police said.
The march was for 17-year-old Jesus Huerta who died Nov. 19, 2013, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the mouth while he was handcuffed in the backseat of a Durham police cruiser.
Since that night, Huerta's death has been a lightning rod of controversy and debate. Last week, a final report from Durham police, along with text messages between Chief Jose Lopez and the city manager, concluded that the 17-year-old was not searched properly when he was arrested.