Quantcast

RALEIGH: NC appeals court does not dismiss fireworks cases - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

NC appeals court does not dismiss fireworks cases

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

An appeals court says negligence lawsuits filed by representatives of three workers who died and one person who survived a 2009 fireworks explosion on a North Carolina barrier island can continue.

The state Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday in favor of the estates of the people killed and an injured worker seeking damages against a pyrotechnics company.

Melrose South Pyrotechnics had been hired to put on the July 4 display at Ocracoke Island. The blast occurred as a crew prepared inside a truck. Investigators blamed a small explosion involving igniters for triggering a larger explosion. Four workers in all were killed. 

The three-judge panel unanimously upheld a lower court decision refusing to side with the fireworks firm because there were unresolved issues involving the facts in the case.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:58:46 GMT
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:16 GMT
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.