Cause of Fire Being Investigated At Savannah Ports - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Cause of Fire Being Investigated At Savannah Ports

Posted: Updated:

Sunday update from the Savannah Fire Department:

Savannah firefighters remain at the scene of a warehouse fire at the Georgia Ports Authority's Ocean Terminal.

There continue to be areas of flare ups in the rubble of Warehouse #3 where fire erupted late Saturday morning.

Savannah firefighters address these flare ups as they occur and continue their actions to keep any flare ups from escalating into larger pockets of fire.

Additional efforts are underway to enable firefighters better access to areas of the structure where the flare ups are occurring.

Firefighters continue to maintain containment of the fire and there is no expectation of any further strengthening or extension of the fire.

Smoke conditions are markedly improved in and around the incident location - including downtown Savannah and the city's west side.

Although the conditions are expected to continue to improve throughout the day,  it is still advisable for people in the immediate areas of the incident scene to limit outdoor activity. This is especially true for anyone on suffers any type of breathing difficulty from asthma or other condition.


How the fire is being fought

Savannah firefighters got the call right around 11:30am and was fully involved when they arrived.  A second alarm for attritional resources was sent out.  Multiple agencies, including Garden City fire are assisting in the fight.

Savannah Fire Officials say the attack has been defensive since the beginning. 

They were able to get men and equipment on three sides of the fire and were able to get water streaming to all three sides of the fire.

Industrial fire fighting equipment had to be deployed. 

Garden City also brought in equipment.  Water was drawn directly from the Savannah River to put on the fire.


Health and Environmental Concerns

The fire is contained and the main goal is to keep the fire where it is so it doesn't breach a firewall and move to a northern section of the warehouse.

Officials say the weather has been favorable.  winds have sent the smoke straight up into the air.  The cause of the fire is still unknown. 

It will likely be Sunday before investigators can get into where the fire originated.
Officials have had no reports of injuries.  Officials with the Chatham Emergency Management Agency were also on hand to lend any assistance the fire departments needed.
The Coast Guard was also on hand to make sure no hazardous material from the fire or efforts to fight the fire made it into the river.



SCMPD says West Bay Street between East Lathrop Avenue and Fahm Street is reopening to traffic but motorists are cautioned about driving in the areas around a warehouse fire still being battled.

Heavy smoke still can affect portions of Interstate 16, Interstate 516 and even Interstate 95 as well as the Talmadge Bridge.

Stay with wsav.com and tune in to News 3 On Your Side at 11 for the very latest.

To view pictures sent in by news staff and WSAV viewers, click on the link below.

Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.