Greenville hotel reopens after gas leak - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Bookmark and Share

Greenville hotel reopens after gas leak

Posted: Updated:
An extended stay hotel is back open after about 30-35 occupants were forced to evacuate Tuesday morning because of a gas leak.

It happened at the Home-Towne Suites on Arlington Blvd. in Greenville.

Firefighters were called out to the scene around 8:30 a.m.  Investigating crews found the presence of carbon monoxide inside the two-story hotel, which caused the reported alarm to sound.

Lisa Wall was staying at the hotel after a fire displaced her and her family on Thursday.

"It was a scary feeling going through something like that. It was here we go again," said Wall.

Wall says she was in the shower when fire crews arrived.

"Next thing I know the fire department was banging on the door saying everybody had to get out. So,  we're being moved again," said Wall.

A crew from Greenville Utilities’ gas division confirmed the presence of natural gas inside. Malfunctioning equipment inside was the cause of the natural gas leak, which caused the elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

Evacuees were taken by a Greenville GREAT bus to another facility. The Red Cross also responded to assist with relocation.

Fortunately, no injuries or illnesses were reported.

9 On Your Side spoke to two hotel managers, however, they declined to comment.
Powered by WorldNow

3221 South Evans Street
Greenville N.C. 27834

Telephone: 252.355.8500
Fax: 252.355.8568
Email: newsdesk@wnct.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.