Online Originals: Dix Crisis Center impact on community

Online Originals

WNCT

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – Dix Crisis Intervention Center opened in July of this year.

The center has 16 beds, currently serving adults with mental health and/or substance abuse disorders.

Onslow, Craven, and Carteret Counties, Jacksonville, Onslow Memorial Hospital, and Carteret Health Hospital contribute to the funding of Dix Crisis Center.

Sheri Slater, Onslow Assistant County Manager said in the last two months, the center has helped over 150 people in the community. 20% of patients were treated for mental health problems and the other 80% for substance abuse.

The center is also helping the emergency services staff that transport and drop off patients.

The turn around time for officers is 3 minutes, allowing them to get back on the road.

Slater said the numbers show the need for treatment expansion in the area and that there are plans for a future 23-hour facility in the works.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50