GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT)– Well, it’s Friday the 13th and if you are superstitious, this day is your worst nightmare.
On top of the dreaded date, a full harvest moon will light up the sky during overnight hours.
The last time a full moon fell on the same date as Friday the 13th was on October 13th, 2000. And interestingly enough, this rare event will not occur again until August 13th, 2049.
According to the Farmers Almanac, September’s full moon is also known as the ‘harvest’ moon. It is unique from other full moons because it kicks off farmers’ harvest season. The moon will stay in the sky for longer lengths of time, allowing farmers to work late into the night due to the moon-lit sky.
Check out some photos of previous full moons.
The moon and date lining up together add a spooky feel to the day and into the overnight hours.
People across the country are extra cautious throughout the length of the day in order to avoid bad luck.
According to WebMD, superstitions are something we learn as children, older folks are less likely to believe in them.
Are you superstitious?
Here are some common cautions people have expressed they do or avoid when it comes to bad luck:
- Seeing a black cat
- Walking under a ladder
- Spilling a salt shaker
- Stepping on sidewalk cracks
- Looking into a broken mirrors
- Opening an umbrella indoors
- Going to the 13th floor in buildings/hotels
- Seeing your spouse on your wedding day prior to the marriage ceremony
- Wearing the same game socks or underwear
- Try to be the last team standing after the national anthem
- Playoff beards
- Stepping on white chalk in baseball
- Wearing rally caps in every possible way than normal, late in baseball games that are being lost
- Wearing the same batting gloves all baseball season (no matter what condition they are in)
- Eating the same pre-game meal or snack before a competition
- Re-taping bats or sticks before each competition
Friday the 13th and superstitions are not always considered bad luck. There are some good omens that are said to bring good luck:
- Birds pooping on your shoulder
- Knocking on wood
- Wishbones- winning the larger side of the bone
- Find a penny pick it up