WELDON, N.C. (WNCN) — A car driver died and nine children were injured in a head-on wreck involving a sedan and a school activity bus Friday afternoon in Halifax County, officials said.
The wreck was reported just before 4 p.m. and involved a Northampton County Schools activity bus which was headed to a basketball game in Weldon, according to Weldon Police Chief C.G. Davis.
There were 22 students on the bus when the crash happened on Corbitt Drive and Country Club Road in Weldon, Davis said.
Nine of the students were taken to Vidant North for treatment, according to Davis.
He said that the injuries were not serious and included injuries such as bloody noses.
The driver of the Honda who died was not identified.
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol, the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office and the Weldon Fire Department assisted in the case.
As of 6 p.m., crews and officials were still at the scene investigating the crash.
- ‘Ruth Bader Ginsburg changed our country and the world’
- Watch Latin & Classic Night at Savannah-Safe Jazz Festival
- Business owners unsure if federal loans will be forgiven
- Watch: Restaurants fry up different takes on the empanada
- WNCT NOW Digital News Update 9/25/2020 – Late Afternoon