Driver turns himself in days after leading chase through two NC counties

kill devil hills suspect_1548700211701.JPG.jpg

 Three people are facing charges after authorities chased a vehicle from Kill Devil Hills into Tyrrell County over the weekend.

Kill Devil Hills police said the chase started Saturday, Jan. 26, after officers, stopped a Nissan Altima for following too closely and nearly causing a crash.

The driver, 26-year-old Daquan Spencer, of Columbia, sped away as he was approached by officers. This happened just before 11:45 p.m., according to police.

Police said officers chased Spencer through the Dare County towns of Nags Head and Manteo, and eventually into Tyrrell County.

Officers noted items were thrown from the car at various points during the chase. The Dare County Sheriff’s Office later recovered a .380 Smith and Wesson handgun, police said.

Police said Dare County deputies deployed spike strips, which stopped the Nissan near the J. Morgan Futch Gameland in Tyrrell County — some 40 miles from the Kill Devil Hills area.

Spencer and two passengers ran from the car, while a third passenger stayed inside of the Nissan. That person was later released without being charged.

The two passengers who ran, 18-year-old Nasseim Basnight and a 16-year-old male, surrendered after Nags Head police arrived on scene with a K-9 officer.

Basnight and the 16-year-old have been charged with resist, delay and obstruct.

Police said Spencer managed to escape that night but turned himself in to the Tyrrell County Sheriff’s Office two days later. Spencer is facing charges including fleeing to elude arrest, reckless driving, and other traffic violations.

Spencer was given a $5,500 secured bond.


A Columbia man is wanted after leading officers on a car chase from Dare County into Tyrrell County this weekend, according to the Kill Devil Hills Police Department. 

Daquan Spencer, 26, of Columbia is wanted on charges of fleeing to elude arrest, reckless driving and other traffic violations.

A Kill Devil Hills police officer stopped a black Nissan Altima Saturday night after police said the car was following another car too closely, nearly causing a collision.

The officer also said he smelled marijuana.

As the officer approached the Altima, Spencer sped away.

The car chase began around 11:40 Kill Devil Hills and continued through Nags Head, Manteo, East Lake and into Tyrrell County.

Spencer threw multiple items from the vehicle during the chase, police said.

The Dare County Sheriff’s Office finally used spike strips to stop the vehicle near J. Morgan Futch Gameland in Tyrrell County.

Police said Spencer and two other passengers ran from police while another passenger stayed in the vehicle and surrendered to law enforcement.

Nags Head police arrived with their K9, Bak, and the two passengers who ran away surrendered. 

Spencer got away, and law enforcement is still looking for him. 

The Dare County Sheriff’s Office recovered a .380 Smith and Wesson handgun in the area where the pursuing officers noted an object thrown from the fleeing vehicle.

Nasseim Basnight, 18, and a 16-year-old male passenger were charged with resist, delay and obstruct for fleeing on foot from officers after the vehicle was stopped. 

The 18-year-old male passenger who stayed with the vehicle and immediately surrendered was released without being charged.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LKQD Outstream

Trending Stories