KINSTON, N.C. (WNCT) — Officials in Lenoir County say a child is dead following a mobile home fire early Sunday morning.

On Tuesday, officials said Qwajay Briscoe died in the fire. At approximately 1:20 am Sunday morning, officials responded to a call of a fire at a mobile home residence at 1879 Water Chesnut Drive in Kinston. North Lenoir Volunteer Fire Department, La Grange Volunteer Fire Department, and Lenoir County EMS responded.

Three patients were treated and one juvenile died in the fire.

“The firefighters with North Lenoir and La Grange worked quickly to rescue the victims and extinguish the blaze,” Lenoir County Sheriff Ronnie Ingram said. “I know they did everything they could to prevent this sad loss of life. My hat is off to them for their professional dedication to volunteer for their community.”

Officials say damage to the home was very substantial. Lenoir County Sheriff’s Office and Lenoir County Emergency Services have been notified and an investigation is underway with assistance from the SBI and Office of the State Fire Marshal.


Warren says she was woken up by the fire department around 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning. They were trying to get her out of her home due to the fire’s close proximity. She says the fire spread to a tree in her yard and the heat melted her shutters.

Warren says she was outside her home on the porch while the fire departments worked to put the fire out until about 2 a.m. The fire departments asked her to get in the car because of the smoke and cold weather.

She says officials were there until about 6 a.m. Warren says the family moved into the home next door a few months ago, but she didn’t know them very well. She says she thinks the children were around the ages of 3, 8, and 14.

“It was just horrifying. The flames were everywhere, and the kids, there were 3 of them in there, nothing but 2 make it out. And it’s just horrifying,” Lillie Warren, neighbor.

Warren says she is praying for the family and hoping God brings them peace. She says it is hurtful to know a young child lost their life.

Major Ryan Dawson from the Lenoir Co. Sheriff’s Office says they have no new information and it is still an ongoing investigation. Dawson says the cause of the fire is still unknown. He says they need to wait for the results of the autopsy.

The family is asking for additional support during this difficult time through GoFundMe.