Fire at ECU’s Tyler Residence Hall caused by ‘inappropriate use of smoking material’

Local

GREENVILLE, N.C. – Around 4:30 a.m. Friday, East Carolina University Police and Greenville Fire/Rescue responded to a fire alarm in Tyler Residence Hall.

Responding officers found a small fire in a student’s room on the 5th floor. ECU officers were able to suppress the fire until Greenville Fire & Rescue arrived and completely extinguished it.

One ECU police officer was transported to Vidant Medical Center for treatment of smoke inhalation but was released a few hours later. No students were injured.

Students living in Tyler Residence Hall were evacuated and will be relocated to other residence halls. There were 210 students assigned to Tyler Residence Hall for the spring semester. Damage from the fire is contained to one room in addition to smoke and water damage in that area.

“Greenville Fire Rescue was able to determine that the cause of the fire was accidental in nature and it was as a result of inappropriate use of smoking material,” said ECU Police Department Capt. Chris Sutton. “The fire and majority of the smoke damage was contained to that one room

GFR cleared the scene at approximately 6 a.m., according to Sutton. ECU Facilities Services will assess the damage and work to bring the building back in operation. ECU Student Affairs staff are working with the students assigned to Tyler Residence Hall today to provide needed support.

The East Carolinian reports Garret Gordon was the student impacted the most by the fire, losing a lot of his belongings. He was asleep at the time of the fire before one of his friends woke him up. A GoFundMe page has been set up by Nicole Chiara to assist Gordon.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LKQD Outstream

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50