EMERALD ISLE, N.C. (WNCT) – A fire destroyed a home in Emerald Isle early Tuesday morning and an investigation is underway.
It happened at 1:47 a.m. on Sandbur Drive.
According to fire officials, the family who lives in the home is on vacation and was not home at the time of the fire.
Emerald Isle, Pine Knoll Shores, West Carteret, and Indian Beach fire departments responded. The fire completely destroyed the roof and the home is deemed a loss.
Emerald Isle Fire Chief Bill Walker is cautioning folks to take extra fire safety measures before leaving their homes for vacation.
“The first thing you want to do is make sure everything is turned off and secured,” Chief Walker said. “If you have golf carts plugged in downstairs, which there’s a lot in Emerald Isle, we advise you to unplug them and don’t have any batteries charging. Just secure appliances, gas and stuff like that.”
Fire crews say it took about two hours to put out the fire.