Early-morning fire ruled accidental, destroys Greenville home occupied by college students

Greenville

(Ford Sanders, WNCT photo)

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) — A Wednesday morning fire destroyed a home occupied by several college students.

Greenville Fire/Rescue said the fire happened around 9:30 a.m. at a home on Shady Lane. Officials said in a press release Wednesday evening the cause of the fire was accidental and was caused by a trash can that contained discarded materials that had been burned earlier in the morning.

The fire damaged the front porch and center of the home, officials said.

Investigators were on the scene through the rest of the morning. Greenville Fire/Rescue Public Information Officer Jessica Blackwell said around 20 firefighters responded to the call. The fire was under control in about 20 minutes.

One person was evaluated for minor injuries and was later transported to Vidant Medical Center.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LKQD Outstream

Trending Stories

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50