79-year-old dies after structure fire/explosion in Duplin County

Local

DUPLIN COUNTY, N.C. (WNCT) Duplin County officials have confirmed that 79-year-old Lon Record died after a structure fire/explosion in Duplin County.

County officials said there was an explosion in a single-wide mobile home on Jackson Store Road near Corn Mill Road.

One burn victim was flown to UNC North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill.

Officials said the victim is in critical condition and was first taken to Vidant’s hospital in Duplin County, then flown to the burn center.

The name of the victim has not been released at this time.

Investigators said the victim told them he remembers lighting a cigarette right before the explosion, and nothing else after that.

Officials said that 17 animals were known to have been in the home, and 14 are currently in the care of Animal Services.

Upon further investigation, no animals were found dead at the scene.

Animal Services is attempting to capture the three remaining animals. 

Fire, EMS, emergency management, law enforcement, State Fire Marshall, and SBI are investigating the incident.

Stay with WNCT for more updates.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LKQD Outstream

Trending Stories

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50