ONLY ON 9: Greenville Fire-Rescue respond to two kitchen fires in 24 hours

Local

Greenville Fire-Rescue responded to two kitchen fires within 24 hours. 

One took place on Whitaker Dr. around 3:30 a.m. Friday and the other was on Sterling Pointe Dr. Thursday night around 6:15 p.m. 

Investigators say a pot was left on the stove resulting in the fire along Whitaker Dr. 

The kitchen fire at Sterling Pointe displaced a family of five. The fire was contained to the kitchen but there was smoke damage to the unit. 

The Red Cross also responded to the fire to assist.

No one was injured. 

“I saw a bunch of them [fire trucks]. I saw about six out here for one fire, six! So, I was like ‘it had to be bad,'” said Jalen McDowell, a witness. 

GFR have kitchen fire safety reminders for the public. The first, never use water to put out a grease fire. Also, if the fire is small, smother it with a pot lid, then turn off the burner and call 911.

They say never take the pot outside. 

They suggest never to leave your stove unattended. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the U.S. 

news-app-download-apple-350x50
news-app-download-android-350x50

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50