KINSTON, N.C. (WNCT) — A gas leak that forced the evacuation of residents at an apartment complex in Kinston has been secured and crews were cleaning up Thursday afternoon.
WNCT’s Sarah Gray Barr said during 9OYS News at Noon that she spoke with Murry Stroud, the director of Lenoir County Emergency Services. He told her the line where the gas leak happened had been secured. Crews were cleaning up the area as of 12:30 p.m.
Lenoir County Emergency Services reported the leak was at the corner of East King Street and South McDaniels Street. Southeast Elementary School is across the street from the leak. There was no word on if any students were evacuated.
“I would say probably at least two or three times a month, we have a natural gas or even a propane leak of some sort.” said Murry Stroud, Lenoir Co. Director of Emergency Services. “It’s a good idea for anybody digging to have utilities come out and look at the line so we can avoid some of this.”
The leak happened just before 9 a.m. after a construction crew struck a 2-inch natural gas main, according to Lenoir County Public Information Officer Bryan Hanks. LCES officials were assisting the Kinston Department of Fire & Rescue with the leak. Piedmont Natural Gas officials were also on the scene.
Residents in the area were evacuated to the Simon Bright Community Center. They have since been allowed to return to their homes.