15 treated following carbon monoxide leak in Chowan County

News
Image_262205

EDENTON, N.C. (WAVY) – Emergency crews responded to a carbon monoxide leak at Leon Nixon Catering in the 700 block of Virginia Road, Wednesday morning.

Emergency calls started coming in between 8 and 9 a.m. for people feeling ill at the business. According to Edenton Police Chief Jay Fortenbery, a hot water heater at the catering company was leaking carbon monoxide. The gas leaked into the building and employees were unaware. Employees then started getting sick. Officers arrived on the scene and evacuated the building. Everyone inside the building was conscious when police arrived, according to Jay Fortenbery.

At the time of the evacuation, some people started feeling faint and nauseous and EMT crews were called.

Kelly Herr with Chowan Hospital says that 15 people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Nine of them were transported to Duke Medical Center for specialized treatment. Of the 15, Five were EMS workers were evaluated and then released.

Those that are still at Chowan Hospital are being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LKQD Outstream

Trending Stories

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50