OAK ISLAND, N.C. (WNCT) – Beach and helicopter crews are wrapping up their patrols down the North Carolina coast after two weekend shark attacks left two children badly injured.
At Oak Island in Brunswick County, officials said Monday morning they couldn’t confirm what kind of shark bit the two in Sunday’s attacks that happened less than 90 minutes apart.
A 12-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy are still recovering. The boy lost his arm and the girl lost part of hers plus has injuries to her legs.
“They are both out of surgery and in stable condition this morning, but have a really long road ahead,” explained Brian Watts, Emergency Services Director. “The key to the success was the fact that the bystanders on the beach did very quick first aid the correct way.”
Despite the attacks, Oak Island’s fire chief said he’d go out and swim on Monday.
But other folks are wondering just what the chances are of running into a shark, especially since the two were only in hip-deep water.
— Previous Story —
Beaches are expected to open Monday as two kids are recovering after a pair of shark attacks in North Carolina.
The girl and boy were badly mauled within two hours of each other.
The attacks happened Sunday afternoon off the beach in Oak Island. The tiny coastal resorts start to summer season was interrupted by screams for help.
The first victim was a 13 year old girl. People running to her aid as she was bleeding heavily.
She lost part of her arm, and was severely bitten on her left leg.
About 90 minutes later, about two miles away, on the same stretch of beach, a 16 year old boy was attacked. He lost his left arm.
According to rescuers, both victims were in waist-deep water, about 20 yards offshore when they were attacked.
“Um, blood in the water, uh coming over with the white wash,” said Jason Hunter, witness. “Uh, kid was in shock. He was still coherent. Um lost, took it clean off.”
“I have been here 16 years,” said Oak Island Fire Dept. Fire Chief Chris Anselmo. “This is the first time something as major as this has happened.”
Last Thursday, along a stretch of beach in the same county, a 13 year old girl was also attacked by a shark. She suffered minor cuts to her foot.
As of Monday afternoon, both injured in Sunday’s attacks were listed in good condition at New Hanover Regional Medical Center.
— Previous Story —
A North Carolina mayor says that hours after a teenage girl suffered severe injuries in a shark attack Sunday a teenage boy was also severely injured.
Mayor Betty Wallace of Oak Island, a seaside town bordered to the south by the Atlantic Ocean, says that the teenage girl lost part of her left arm and may lose part of her left leg. According to WECT, Wallace said a 16-year-old boy lost an arm when he was attacked. He was airlifted to a hospital.
Wallace said in a phone interview Sunday that she didn’t have further information on the girl’s prospects for recovery.
The girl was visiting the area from out of town. Further details weren’t immediately available about either of the teens.
— Previous Story —
A North Carolina mayor says that a teenage girl suffered severe injuries in a shark attack near a fishing pier.
Mayor Betty Wallace of Oak Island says that the teenage girl was bitten Sunday afternoon near the Ocean Crest Pier.
Wallace says the girl lost part of her left arm and may lose part of her left leg. The victim was airlifted to a nearby hospital.
Wallace said in a phone interview that she didn’t have further information on the girl’s prospects for recovery.
The girl was visiting the area from out of town. Further details weren’t immediately available.
Wallace says she’s not aware of other shark attacks in the area since she bought a home there in 1995.
— Original Story —
Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Emily Flax says a call came in around 4:15 p.m. Sunday afternoon claiming a person had been bite by a shark on Oak Island. At this time, officials are working to confirm that this is the case.
Witnesses say the attack happened near the Ocean Crest Motel on the island. Flax says Oak Island spokesman Kyle Thomas is working to confirm the report and will release information as it becomes available.
This allegedly attack comes just a week after another person was bitten by a shark in Ocean Isle.