Fire leads to new partnership between Greenville Fire/Rescue, recycling shop

News

A nearly disastrous fire has led to a new partnership between Hardee’s Recycling and Greenville Fire/Rescue.

After a fire broke out at Hardee’s Recycling, shop’s owners decided it was time to give back to those who helped save their shop.

Nearly two weeks ago, one of the junk car’s batteries caused a large fire.

Greenville Fire/Rescue was called to the scene and was able to put out the flames.

If it weren’t for the fire department’s quick response, the fire would have reached the building and surrounding structures.

“Those guys helped us out so much they put out a fire,” said Blake Ward, who works at Hardee’s Recycling. “We had 30-foot flames shooting from behind here and they were here in no time.”

As a token of appreciation, the shop decided to give back to the department in the form of recycled vehicles. Those vehicles are now being used for training purposes right across the street.

“We have 22 students who are employed with Greenville Fire/Rescue, and they are also students with Pitt Community College,” said Lt. Jeremy Cleaton, with Greenville Fire/Rescue. “They’re currently enrolled in the technical rescue portion of the academy and they’re working on stabilization today.”

With accidents happening daily in the city, it’s a win-win situation for the recycling shop and the fire department.

“We recycle a lot of things,” said Ward, “and most people take that for granted putting stuff back into the economy like we do, so the firemen we figured they were unsung just like we are. We figured if we could help them that we would.”

Ward says the shop plans to donate more vehicles as the school continues their training in the future.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50