GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – The Greenville Police Department, with the assistance of the Pitt County Medical Examiner’s Office, has officially identified the victim in a fatal fire Monday afternoon.
Maynard Dudley Jr. of 407 Hudson Street died in the fire, Greenville police say. Neighbors said they called Dudley “Mayo.”
An autopsy determined the cause of death to be smoke inhalation and the manner of death to be accidental.
The official autopsy report will be available from the Pitt County Medical Examiner’s Office in a few months pending toxicology results.
At around 2 .p.m. Monday afternoon, neighbors said a fire broke out on the 400 block of Hudson Street in Greenville.
Junis Boyd and a friend caught wind that someone might be in the burning home.
Boyd said, “Me and another guy we went by here and busted the door down and went in and busted some windows, and the smoke went and had us all in the face and we can’t do nothing but come back out.”
Boyd said the smoke so bad he fell to the ground.
“I got over there by the church,” said Boyd. “I got on my knees and stuff because I was accumulated by the smoke there.”
Greenville Fire/Rescue confirmed the worst news for this community.
Rebekah Thurston with GFR said, “We have found a body inside of the home.”
Throughout the afternoon neighbors kept approaching the scene hoping for the best, but discovering the worst.
The other man, who was helping Boyd tear down that door while trying to save the victim, received medical attention.
Thurston said, “We treat one patient for non-life threatening injuries here on scene. They denied transportation to the hospital.”