JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) — The man charged in the disappearance of Mariah Woods was set for his second court appearance on Monday, but in a quick change of events, the court pushed the appearance back into the new year.
Earl Kimrey’s next appearance in court is set for April 2.
Earl Kimrey, the boyfriend of Mariah Woods’ mother, is being charged with getting rid of the 3-year-old girl’s body, knowing she did not die of natural causes.
Kimrey made his first appearance in court on December 4, wearing an orange jumpsuit and underneath, a bulletproof vest.
Kimrey did not speak during the proceedings, which lasted less than five minutes.
District Attorney Ernie Lee asked the judge to keep the bond of $1,010,000 the same, and the judge agreed, setting Kimrey’s next court date for December 18.
Kimrey is facing several charges including concealing of death and obstruction of justice.
Kimrey is not charged with murder.
Onslow Sheriff Hans Miller and his top investigators showed up to watch Kimrey’s first court appearance on December 4.
“I personally felt necessary to be there,” Miller said. “I am a father. I’m a grandfather. It affected all of us because this community cares.”
Onslow County residents also came out. Tisha Christy lives near Mariah, and see she wants justice.
“This whole community has been on pins and needles hoping and praying we would find her alive,” said Christy. “Saturday, when it broke, it devastated a lot of us.”
Miller said the investigation is far from over, and authorities are still conducting examiners.
A medical examiner’s report regarding Mariah’s death has yet to be released.
More than 30 agencies worked over the last week in the search and investigation.
Miller said that search, coupled with help from the community, lead to the discovery of Mariah’s body.
9 on your side will continue to bring you updates as the investigation continues.