RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Gov. Pat McCrory wasn’t attending Donald Trump’s North Carolina rally but planned to participate in a fundraiser with the presidential candidate to boost Republican Party finances for November.
McCrory campaign spokesman Ricky Diaz said a “scheduling issue” prevented the governor from going to Trump’s Tuesday night appearance at the Greensboro Coliseum complex.
But Diaz says the governor was slated to attend a private event earlier Tuesday featuring Trump and Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus (ryns PREE’-bus) for the GOP’s “victory fund.”
Democrats have been watching how McCrory would react to a visit by Trump, whom they consider a liability for his re-election bid against Roy Cooper.
McCrory has said he would support the Republican presidential nominee – whoever it was – and confirmed he will back Trump last week.
