DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — The suspects in a fatal drive-by shooting also are accused of robbing two people in a nearby apartment complex moments earlier, a North Carolina police department said.
The Durham Police Department said in a news release that officers responding to a location in east-central Durham around 6 p.m. on Thursday found a man and a juvenile who had been shot, The Herald-Sun of Durham reported. The man and juvenile were shot at from a vehicle as they stood outside, police said.
The man died after being taken to a local hospital, while the 17-year-old suffered non-life-threatening injuries, according to police.
Just before the shooting, police said, the suspects robbed two people at gunpoint in a nearby apartment complex. Police did not say how many suspects were linked to the robbery and shooting or provide any other details.
As of Dec. 11, 39 people have been shot and killed in Durham in 2021. There were 30 shooting deaths in Durham at the same time last year, police data said.
Durham has recorded 48 homicides this year, the most in a single year since at least 1995, the last year for which police have electronic records available.