Felony charge dropped in indecent liberties case against NC man

North Carolina

This image provided by the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office shows Mark Anthony Stanley, 60, of Burlington, N.C., who was arrested on Sunday, Dec. 29, 2019 in Spotsylvania County, Va. Police in Virginia say they may have saved the life of Stanley, who was accused of molesting two small children and then attacked by the children’s father. Stanley faces two counts of taking indecent liberties with a child and assault. He is being held in jail without bond. (Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office via AP)

FREDERICKSBURG, Va. (AP) — Felony charges have been dropped against a North Carolina man who was beaten and threatened at gunpoint after a younger man found him in a bedroom with the younger man’s two small children.

Mark Anthony Stanley, 61, of Burlington, North Carolina, pleaded guilty in Spotsylvania Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court on Oct. 28 of two misdemeanor counts of indecent exposure and received a suspended sentence, The Free Lance-Star of Fredericksburg reported. Stanley had been charged with two counts of taking indecent liberties with a child and assault.

Stanley said he took the deal because he wanted to put the case behind him. He had gone to Virginia to visit relatives.

Deputies responding to a 911 call on Dec. 29, 2019, found a beaten Stanley and an irate father. Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Liz Scott said deputies rescued the suspect from further injury. She said the father obtained a weapon and that deputies may have saved Stanley’s life.

Stanley spent nearly two months in jail before being released on bond. Prosecutor Amanda Sweeney said she later realized that the case against Stanley was not what she was initially led to believe.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LKQD Outstream

Trending Stories

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50