Preventing pets from being poisoned

News
Image_132571

GREENVILLE, NC (WNCT) – During National Animal Poison Prevention Week, veterinarians are educating pet owners about what’s poisonous to pets.

Medications, certain foods, and cleaning products are often not safe for pets. In fact, most pet poison cases come from common household items.

“The other big thing is xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener that is put in a lot of kind of diet products,” said Dr. Anne Eldridge, Veterinarian, Firetower Animal Clinic. “It makes us able to eat things that we like that are sweet, that are lower in calorie, but they can be incredibly toxic again to dogs primarily.”

Be especially careful of dark chocolate and grapes when around dogs. Tylenol and lily flowers can be deadly to cats if ingested.

When an animal is poisoned, the symptoms often vary, depending on the substance. If you suspect your pet was poisoned, and it’s vomiting, not eating, lethargic, or not acting normal, call your vet immediately.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50