NEW BERN, N.C.(WNCT)- The ‘Books for Littles’ book drive has came to a conclusion and the numbers are in.
They were able to bring in over 1,400 books. The books will go to different organizations across the coastal counties for kids that may not have books at home.
United Way of Coastal Carolina cannot begin to tell you how thankful they are.
“We could not be more thrilled with folks who donated books. We had boxes of books that came in from retired school teachers and other folks who were thinning out their libraries,” said Resources Development with United Way of Coastal Carolina, Sherwood Crawford, “The generosity has just been amazing.”
Feb. 14th marks the beginning of United Way of Coastal Carolina’s ‘Books for Littles’ book drive.
Donations will be taken for children across the Craven, Carteret, Jones and Pamlico County area.
United Way is asking for books that appeal to preschool aged children to preteen age.
The ‘Books for Littles’ drive is a part of United Ways worldwide initiative to ‘improve early childhood learning opportunities.’
“Reading proficiency in North Carolina for first graders is around 50 percent. By the time they reach third or fourth grade, it is 38 percent,” said Executive Director of United Way of Coastal Carolina, Sandra Phelps, “We also have larger poverty areas, particularly in Eastern North Carolina. So, we want to make sure that poverty isn’t a reason kids can’t read.”
March 2nd will be the last day to donate books. It also happens to be ‘Read across America Day.’
All of the books donated will go to:
- Heartworks in Bayboro for their library
- Carteret County Domestic Violence Program for their family room
- RCS to establish a Book Nook in their new Family Shelter
- The Filling Station to create a Little Free Library in Pollocksville
- The Boys and Girls Clubs in Morehead City, Beaufort and Havelock
Denotations sites are listed below:
- BB&T New Bern branches at Carolina Colours, Downtown and Hwy 17 (MLK Blvd.)
- BB&T branches in Cape Carteret, Beaufort, and Morehead City Main and Hwy. 70W
- Piggly Wiggly stores in Oriental and Grantsboro
- Brock Motor Company in Trenton
- United Way of Coastal Carolina office, 601 Broad St. in New Bern