UPDATE: One person has died and at least 17 were hospitalized after a gas leak caused an explosion that partially collapsed a building near Morgan and Duke streets in downtown Durham on Wednesday morning.
One of the injured people was a firefighter.
Authorities say the building where the explosion occurred is partially collapsed and the building across the street is damaged as well.
The explosion occurred as a worker was boring under the side of a building and struck a gas line, police said.
Duke Hospital has said they are prepared to triage people as a result of the explosion.
Durham School of the Arts, which is located near the explosion, is releasing students early.
Durham Police said the following intersections are closed:
- Duke Street at Main Street
- Duke Street at Gregson Street
- Duke Street at Peabody Street
- Duke Street at Pettigrew Street
- Duke Street at Chapel Hill Street
- Chapel Hill Street at Gregson Street
- Gregson Street at Peabody Street
- Gregson Street at W. Main Street
- Gregson Street at Lamond Avenue
- W. Main Street at Fuller Street
- Fuller Street at W. Morgan Street