Teen charged for social media threats to New Bern High School

Crime Tracker

New Bern, NC Police

NEW BERN, N.C. (WNCT) Police have arrested and charged a teen who allegedly posted threats against New Bern High School on social media.

On Wednesday, the New Bern Police Department was made aware of statements being posted on social media concerning a pre-planned mass violent attack at New Bern Hgh School.

According to police, the statements made on social media stemmed from a fight between Jonah Squires and Isaac Sevenski that occurred earlier in the week at a location, not on school property.

Squires and Sevenski were charged with simple affray for their involvement in the fight.

Additionally, Squires was charged with communicating threats for an unrelated incident.

Lamonti Lewis was charged with communicating threats related to the posts on social media involving New Bern High School.

PREVIOUS:

NEW BERN, NC (WNCT) – New Bern police have arrested and charged three teens who allegedly posted threats against New Bern High School on social media.

New Bern police said on Wednesday night, officers and school officials received tips about statements being posted on social media about a pre-planned mass violent attack that was allegedly going to happen at New Bern High School.

New Bern Police, the Craven County Sheriff’s Office, and Pamlico County Sheriff’s Office investigated the threats and found them to be non-credible.

Classes continued as scheduled on Thursday at NBHS, but additional law enforcement officers were stationed at the school for extra security.

Three people who allegedly posted the threats were arrested on the following charges in this case:

Jonah Squires, age 17 of New Bern, was charged with Communicating Threats and Simple Affray.

Isaac Sevenski, age 16 of Bayboro, was charged with Simple Affray.

Lamonti Lewis, age 17 of Bayboro, was charged with Communicating Threats.

The teens are scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 5, 2019.

PREVIOUS:

Craven County Schools said extra law enforcement officers will be at New Bern High School on Thursday, after a threat against the school was allegedly posted on social media on Wednesday night.

In a statement posted Thursday morning on the Craven County Schools Facebook page, school officials said law enforcement and school officials are investigating the threat against New Bern High School, but “at this time have not found the threat to be credible.”

The school district did not cancel classes at NBHS, but said extra law enforcement officers will be at the school on Thursday to increase security.

The district said it thanks everyone who made school officials aware of the threat, and they encouraged everyone, “if at any time you see something, to say something,” to help keep local schools safe.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50