CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WNCN) — The Carolina Panthers will be without star quarterback Cam Newton on Sunday, according to head coach Ron Rivera.
Backup Kyle Allen is set to get the start with rookie Will Grier serving as his backup.
Leading up to the Panthers matchup against the Arizona Cardinals, Newton had been hampered by a foot injury he suffered in the preseason. The injury kept him out of practice for most of the week.
On Thursday, Rivera became annoyed with questions surrounding the quarterback’s game status, so much that he walked out of the press conference.
Allen will get to face off against former college teammate Kyler Murray on Sunday. The two battled it out for the starting job at Texas A&M once upon a time.
The Panthers travel to Arizona to take on the Cardinals Sunday. Kickoff is set for 4:05 p.m. EST.
- NC to allow indoor visits at nursing homes as progress made against COVID-19
- Harris to voters: Don’t give up as Trump rushes court pick
- Google Maps rolls out COVID-19 tracking feature
- Coronavirus surge: When will the fall COVID-19 spike hit?
- Trump receives third nomination for Nobel Peace Prize