Cincinnati scored the game’s first four goals and never trailed in a 16-7 win over ECU at Gettler Stadium Monday.
ECU (2-14): CINCINNATI (8-8)
- This was a non-conference game. The American Athletic Conference will begin sponsoring women’s lacrosse in 2019 and both ECU and Cincinnati will be a part of the league. ECU is playing as an independent this year and the Bearcats remain a member of the Big East Conference.
- Three players recorded hat tricks in the game. ECU freshman Megan Pallozzi scored three goals for the second time in a game this season, while Cincinnati’s Taylor Gysin (4) and Alyssa Adams each turned the trick for the Bearcats.
- The Pirates got single goals from Nicole Legar, Mackell Schultes, Ally Stanton and Brittany Borchers.
- ECU collected a season-high 43 ground balls, nearly double its previous season-best of 24 at St. Francis (Pa.). Cincinnati claimed 50 ground balls as the teams combined for 103 ground balls.
- The Bearcats took 15 more shots (39-24) than ECU.
- Both teams were successful on over 81 percent of their clear attempts (ECU 18-22, CIN 19-23).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cincinnati scored four goals in the first four minutes of the game and built a 7-1 lead with 11:40 to play until halftime.
- Pallozzi scored the Pirates’ first three goals, including two in the first half, with her last coming 10:19 into the second stanza after Cincinnati had constructed a 10-2 lead.
- ECU and Cincinnati exchanged goals over the next three minutes before the Bearcats scored two straight to take a nine-goal advantage (13-4) with 10:32 to play.
- Each team scored three goals in the final 8:24.
- ECU concludes its inaugural season May 6 at Duke. The first draw is scheduled for 3 p.m.