After a roller coaster of a 16-month spell in charge, Antonio Conte’s time at Tottenham has come to a fiery end.
Spurs announced that the 53-year-old manager was leaving the club Sunday following a disastrous draw to last-place Southampton last week. After the match, which Tottenham gave up a 3–1 lead with less than 20 minutes to play, the Italian used his postgame press conference to lambast club ownership, players and the team’s mindset.
“They don’t play for something important. They don’t want to play under pressure, they don’t want to play under stress,” Conte said. “It is easy in this way. Tottenham’s story is this: 20 years the owner is here, and they never won something but why?”
The tirade, in which the manager called the players “selfish” and questioned their commitment to the team, was surely the last straw for Spurs chairman Daniel Levy. But the relationship between club and manager had seemingly been untenable for some time.
“We have 10 Premier League games remaining and we have a fight on our hands for a Champions League place,” Levy said in a statement. “We all need to pull together. Everyone has to step up to ensure the highest possible finish for our Club and amazing, loyal supporters.”
Assistant coach Cristian Stellini, who filled in for Conte multiple times throughout the season, will act as interim manager for the remainder of the season.