GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) — Week 3 of the high school football season is in the books. At least we’re pretty sure it is.
It was another week of crazy scheduling due to the weather and COVID-19. Several games were played on Thursday as schools got a jump on their Labor Day weekend. At least 10 games overall were either postponed or canceled due to COVID-19 on Thursday and Friday.
New Bern, the top team in the Touchdown Friday Top 9, was impressive again with a 41-0 win over West Craven. New Bern (3-0) has now outscored its opponents 150-7 this season.
Other winners on Friday included Kinston over Ayden-Grifton and East Duplin in a shootout win over Pender County.
North Duplin 12, Jones Senoir 0
Kinston 40, Ayden-Grifton 6
Hertford County 57, Bertie County 0
Northampton County 44, Washington County 0
Spring Creek 18, Bear Grass Charter 6
New Bern 41, West Craven 0
Southside 44, South Creek 16
White Oak 24, Southwest Onslow 13
Rocky Mount Academy 57, St. David’s 20
East Duplin 48, Pender County 44
Bethel Christian Academy 48, Columbia 6
Perquimans at Pasquotank County, not played (no further details)
Croatan at Pender County, canceled
Swansboro at North Brunswick, canceled
Riverside at Northside, ppd. COVID-19
Washington at South Central, ppd. COVID-19
Harrells Christian Academy at Pamlico County, ppd. COVID-19
Parrott Academy at Halifax Academy, canceled COVID-19
East Duplin at Richlands, ppd, COVID-19
Croatan at East Carteret, canceled, COVID-19
South Lenoir at Midway, canceled, COVID-19
D.H. Conley at Cleveland, canceled, COVID-19
Farmville Central at West Carteret, canceled
St. Pauls 51, Northside-Jacksonville 13
We got Thursday’s action as 10 games on the slate were played. North Pitt, Tarboro and Wallace-Rose Hill were among the big winners on Thursday. Edenton got its season started (finally) after COVID-19 cases amongst their opponents slowed things up. J.H. Rose is also looking for its first win after falling at Northeastern on Thursday.
On top of monitoring high school football schedules this week for any potential COVID-19 rescheduled or cancellations, there’s also the Labor Day weekend. Already this week, when it comes to scheduling, we’ve had:
- J.H. Rose had its game moved from Friday to Wednesday to Thursday due to the weather
- North Lenoir’s game with C.B. Aycock will not be made up due to COVID-19 with the Hawks.
- Parrott Academy is the latest to have its Friday game canceled … due to COVID-19 with Halifax Academy. Parrott was looking for a game, 8-man or 11-man, for Friday.
- Chris Miller from JDNews.com reports the East Duplin at Richlands game has been postponed due to COVID-19.
- Croatan’s game at East Carteret has been canceled due to COVID-19 at East Carteret. Croatan will now travel to Pender County. South Lenoir’s game at Midway has also been canceled due to coronavirus cases within the Blue Devils’ team.
- Northside-Jacksonville will play at St. Paul’s on Monday at 11 a.m., according to Miller.
- Farmville Central and West Carteret have canceled their game.
- D.H. Conley will not go to Cleveland “due to quarantine policies. The Vikings will return to play next Friday as they host Northern Nash,” per the Conley Sports Twitter page. Conley has missed two games due to coronavirus.
- Croatan’s game at Pender County is canceled but East Duplin will play Pender County today at 7:30 p.m. Croatan will now play East Carteret on Sept. 24
- Swansboro’s game at North Brunswick has been canceled.
Got all that?
Wake Christian 14, John Paul II 7
Tarboro 60, North Edgecombe 0
Wallace-Rose Hill 49, Northside (Pinetown) 7
Hunt 42, SouthWest Edgecombe 0
Greene Central 38, Beddingfield 6
Currituck County 42, Hickory 3
Edenton Holmes 27, Rocky Mount 16
Eastern Wayne 40, James Kenan 19
Northeastern 50, J.H. Rose 28
North Pitt 48, Southeast Halifax 19
C.B. Aycock at North Lenoir, canceled, COVID-19